Monday, August 13, 2012

No Ideas Whatsoever...

Today I read a thread of discussion on Facebook that talked about self-publishing vs. traditional publishing. I have been planning on self-publishing up to this point. But after reading over that thread I have become absolutely terrified of it. Well... Not terrified but rather nervous. I am definitely rethinking my path.

Also I am having a hard time mapping my book. Or not having good enough notes. Or not knowing if I should name characters that aren't important. Basically HOW DETAILED SHOULD I BE?! Wish some authors read this blog. Guess I'll have to research instead of just having the answers handed to me. Dang.

A job I had been depending on getting fell through. I will make enough from my two part time jobs to pay bills but thats about it. Nothing really beyond that. Life's a real bugger sometimes.

Speaking of life being not that great, it may surprise you that I have begun trying not to complain so much when I'm talking to people. It's REALLY HARD. My life is in a really not great place right now. We're living with my parents which is great of them but... not ideal. We are falling farther and farther behind on bills until some income comes IN.  And... Wait wait I didn't mean to start complaining. SEE HOW EASY IT IS?!!! Grrr. Anyways. Yeah. Trying not to complain. It could be worse. I could live in a... house full of rats. And cockroaches. So yeah, not so bad. First world problems, eh?

I'm going running tonight. Haven't been for a couple days. I wasn't feeling great on Friday so I skipped that day and then Saturday instead of running I went for a ten mile bike ride. That was great exercise but I miss running so tonight will be good. Whelp. That's all folks.

Stupid picture:


4 comments:

Meg said...

I may not be an author, but I do read a lot. I don't think there's any prescribed level of detail as long as it feels consistent. Cormac McCarthy has written books where he doesn't name any of the characters (The Road) but it works with the feel of the rest of the book. If it seems natural to explain something, do it. If it's just detail for detail's sake, leave it out.

ANNA said...

Sorry that life isn't really working out right now...we do love having you guys close though! And Bryan and I are excited to hang tomorrow :)

mkgs said...

That is NOT a stupid picture.

Lis said...

Here's Orson Scott Card's writing advice- good stuff:

http://hatrack.com/writingclass/index.shtml

Just curious- what did you learn about elf publishing vs regular??